Thursday, November 20, 2008

Another week passes..........

I remember as a child that the year seem to last forever and that Christmas time would never arrive! The year milestones would take forever to arrive, you would have Christmas and then New Year and then you had to wait for Easter and the chocolate! Then my birthday which is in July would inch ever closer, then it too would pass and then it was the Ekka and September holidays and then the oh so slowly approaching Summer Holidays which would include Christmas and all its delights.

Now that I am a grown up of some years now, I feel I would not be surprised if someone told me that we skipped a few months because damn this year has freaking flown past and we are now heading into my least favourite time of the year. I have grown to dislike Christmas because of the family tensions it creates and fosters and bad behaviour of some has ruined it for most. I loathe New Year because it is the only time of year that highlights in BOLD ITALICS that I am a single female in her mid 30's and likely to remain that way until I die alone in my house undiscovered.

Never mind that for 364 days of the year I am happily single and have a rich full life with lots of things to look forward to and be involved in. Just that particular night highlights that little tiny (and it is very miniscule) part of me that goes "Hmm alone again this year!"

So I just grit my teeth and get through the "festive season" and enjoy what parts of it I can and endure the rest and before I know it - it February and then April and then September.

However this New Year I look forward too because 2008 has been a rough year and I am not sorry to say Adieu to it at all. I have much to look forward to in 2009 and am well focused toward that.

I find the quote below to be true one

It's funny how dogs and cats know the inside of folks better than other folks do, isn't it?
Eleanor H. Porter (1868 - 1920), Pollyanna, 1912

1 comment:

Sleepydumpling said...

Mate, I feel exactly the same way about Christmas and New Year, for the very same reasons.

If only I could just bugger off to the US every year!