Thursday, October 28, 2010

Well my 50 things will be a combo of 4,5,6

The topics are more or less interrelated for me - Recreation, Books and Reading..........

Well for me Recreation time always involves reading, to not be reading each day is anathema to me, it is a very rare night that I fall asleep without reading at least a chapter of something beside my bed. Any time spare always involves a good few hours reading, I have so many authors I love reading and so many new authors to discover that sometimes I agonise that I will die before all my reading is complete and I have read everything I have ever wanted or needed to.

If I am going anywhere pretty much my first thought is what books will I take and how many do I need. The thought of being without something to read causes something akin to a panic attack within me. When I went on my cruise I took 4 books the cruise was 5 days long so I thought I had enough but no I ran out on the 2nd last day and I was prowling the cabin looking for something to read much to the amusement of my friend & fellow cabin mate who reads horror and gothic fiction which I don't but I was desperate so I read the weird ass Jane Austen zombie novel which I rather enjoyed, not sure if it was sheer desperation that added the enjoyment or what.

Now how lucky am I, I work in a freaking library, talk about a kid in a candy store. It is heaven on a stick being surrounded by books and able to flick through and read excerpts and flyleaves and discover new authors all the time. I truly am blessed to be exposed to all the richness of the literary and published world coming through the doors of my workplace every day. I get paid to talk about reading, the pleasures of it, the different authors and genres. Is it any wonder why I love my work and am there early every day. I truly have that blessing - find what you love and you will never work a day in your life. For me, that is my life most days - well moving a library is a bit hard going but that wont' last forever.

Books, so many books in the world lay undiscovered by me as yet but I will get to them one day. My TBR (to be read) pile grows ever more plentiful and tall and wobbly. It is queer but I sometimes wish (with my fingers crossed against it actually happening) for a broken leg or some other mishap that requires bed rest but leaves me well able to read for hours on end so I can start to make a dent in my TBR pile. Being stranded on a desert island well supplied with food, shelter and other essentials is also a favourite fantasy with a unending supply of unread books and undiscovered authors.

I have never been bored (restless but never bored) and I think that is because I so love to read, there is always some place to go, someone to be, something to do when you enjoy reading. You just lose yourself in the book and you are there in amongst the characters and lose hours whiling away your life in another world. My Video rental card gathers dust since there is always a book to read, my TV languishes unwatched most days because there is a book to read. You visit my house and there will be books on the coffee table, kitchen table, the office (uni books I grant you)
my bedside table, my bedroom floor, in the car there is always an audio book on the go, on my iPhone there are audio and E-books to be read and listened to. There is usually a book in my handbag if I know I am going to a friends or relatives place and there might be down time when they are busy - some of my friends have kids that take their attention for a bit so I have a book on hand to read in the interim.

My mother would have to remove books from my hand at the dinner table and if we went to the movies, I usually would try to sneak a book in, in case the movie was something I didn't like. As a child I much preferred my world of books than real life. Toy stores didn't interest me but my mother's hand always tightened on mine when were passing by bookshops because I was inevitably drawn into the bookshop if she wasn't watching me closely I would vanish into the book shop.

Books are truly my raison d'etre.................

No comments: