Monday, October 25, 2010

My Dog....well my pets really No.2 - 48 to go...





This is my number one beloved furball - Dixie - she is a mini foxie/chihuahua cross about 6 years old now. She is my first dog as an adult and solely "my" dog. I grew up with dogs all my life and the longest period without a dog in yard or house was while I was living with my grandmother who was allergic to dogs and would not permit me to have one.

Dixie came to me via my cousin Shanon - who as a vet nurse comes across a lot of animals who need rehoming, Dixie was on offer with a Burmese cat if I had wanted but since I had Simone (pictured above) already living at home and whose nose was already going to be severely out of joint with the arrival of Dixie I decided not to take the Burmese. I took Dixie on a week's trial but in reality it took all of two minutes to decide to keep her. Dixie has been a joy from day one. A devoted companion who really just wants to hang with me and be in my company. She is a happy friendly dog who never meets a stranger, everyone is a friend to be made. She is a little exuberant but her joy in life is something I delight in. No matter the day I have had, Dixie sheer abundant joy in my arrival home makes everything OK again.

A car ride is a sheer delight and a walk - oh my the excitement - at the thought of a walk and getting to hang with Mum is just the bees knees as far as she is concerned. I knew Dixie was truly my dog when I was hanging with some friends and their dogs and she still wanted to go with me when I stood up even though my friends had some pretty cool toys to chew and the dogs were great friends of hers. I had only had her for a few months at the time.

The family dogs in order that I grew up with in conscious memory are as follows:-

1. Winkie - a mini fox/corgi cross - the prettiest little dog you ever saw with a caramel and white coat and delicate features with a lush curly tail. But not a dog suited to children or other animals, she was utterly devoted to my Dad.
2.Bobby & Billy - two muttly mutts who were of such mixed parentage that neither looked the same breed let alone from the same litter. Billy was kinda my dog - he was black and brown and kinda kelpie in shape and nature and came to a tragic end under the wheels of a ute about 8mths into living with the family. Bobby was very short legged and ran like a seal and was a brilliant natured dog - great with kids and babies, who lived a long and interesting life until around 12 when a tick got him.
3. Bea & Lizzy - were Bobby's daughters from getting the purebred cattle dog across the road in whelp - which pleased the owner no end let me tell you. Bea & Lizzy - named after the characters from the show Prisoner - Bea was a stocky dominant bossy bitch and Lizzy was a timid skinny little thing (always started the dog fights and Bobby & Bea would finish them)

They have all left their indelible paw prints on my heart and will one day meet them again when I too cross the rainbow bridge to play with them once again.

I can't leave my 3rd furball out of the picture so there is a picture of Shadow my 3 legged Maine Coone cat as well

1 comment:

Sleepydumpling said...

Dixie is a lovely soul just like her Mummy. She's a funny wee sausage too.