Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Needs must.....

Well I am back from the coast after doing the not so fun job of packing up mum's things, my sister and I approached from a perspective that it has to be done and done quickly and painlessly as possible. So we sorted through things and decided the keepers, the chuckers, the donations and went from there. It is now very much my sister's abode which is fitting as she is paying the rent and it is her house.

We cleared out the old mismatched cutlery and crockery - kept a few sentimental pieces and descended upon my favourite shopping haunt, the trusty Big W. I told my sister to pick a dinner set she liked and doubled it and cutlery set she liked and other bits and pieces needed as she is shaping up to be rather a canny cook and shouted her the lot as my contribution to this new phase of her life. I love buying my nearest and dearest what they want and need rather than wandering around aimlessly trying to guess.

As a result of this cleaning I have a bootful of mum's clothes deemed suitable for donating, I have my eyes peeled for the donation bins that used to reside at every servo you drove past but, as usual, the minority who misused and wrecked the bins have now forced charities to be extremely discerning where they place their bins, which in turn, makes it difficult for myself and others to unload charitable donations.

I have dropped off some of the various memorabilia that would be of interest to various parties and have yet more to post to other parties, that would be meaningful for them to have rather than myself or my siblings.

I now have bits and pieces of paperwork to finalise and organise, things to post, presents to wrap, mementoes to keep safe until I can get them to the respective people.

I wonder if it's a niche market that could be utilized but I guess it is such a personal thing to pack up a deceased estate that unless you are wealthy or utterly alone, there is always someone to do it on your behalf.

This experience has certainly made me determined to keep the clutter under strict control and keep a rein on paper and other piles of crap that accumulate quicker than baby rabbits!

I feel better now that job is out of the way and less reminders are about to poke you in the eye all the time!


Au revoir..............

1 comment:

Sleepydumpling said...

I'm glad you've got stuck into it and are feeling accomplished. It sucks that charity bins are so few and far between, but if it helps, many of them will pick up from your house now. Di and I send off a lot every now and again, with them coming to pick it up from her house.