Thursday, September 30, 2010

The End of an Era....

It was a sad end to a busy day yesterday. I swung by my cousin's place to pick up her foster kitten and get the details for caring for her animals while she goes camping with her family for the weekend. I arrived to see young Mitch's sad bereft face and he tearfully informs me that teepee (Cheetah the cat) had died, Cheetah had been around for as long as Shanon and Chris had been together some 16+ years so he was a real acknowledgement of time passing for them. He certainly had been around every day of Mitch's existence on this earthly plane. Cheetah's death I think is the first real bereavement in Mitch's life certainly for something that had been with him in his daily life. So there was a real milestone achieved for him yesterday and he handled it well, he was guided carefully by his mum who knows this pain all too well as she has been through it many times in her life and will go through it many times more before she too departs the earthly plane.

Cheetah was one of those very cool cats for whom nothing fazed him. Dogs were immediately put in their place and requested to respect or suffer the consequences, other cats were subservient to him and humans requested to pat and show affection when it suited. He would always greet me at my car door and chat to me all the way to the inside of the house, where he would make it plain that since I clearly come to visit him, could I make myself useful and feed him please. He will be missed.

When you lose an animal after they have been part of the family for a long time, there is a real sense of bereavement and loss. I get cross when people minimise it by saying "oh well, just get another one" or "it's only an animal". They are part of the family and should be shown the same respect and acknowledged for the love and joy they brought to the family. I still remember all the animals that have passed through the family and left their paw/hoof/claw prints on my heart.

I know when the time comes when each of my three begin their journey over the rainbow bridge where they will wait for me, my heart will break, but it doesn't stop you from enjoying the time you do have with them.

The movie starring Robin Williams "What Dreams May Come" brought me completely undone when the Robin's character is in heaven and the family dog (long passed) comes bounding up to him in full health and happiness. That's what I hope for one day is reunited with all the animals past, present and future that I have loved along with family & friends who have passed on too.

Till next time

1 comment:

Sleepydumpling said...

I've long believed that our beloved furry and feathered and any other surfaced family members go to heaven too. I'm looking forward to being surrounded by mine when that day comes.